One of my favorite professional activities is collaborating with thought leaders who challenge me and push me to grow. Meredith White (@prhsspanish on Twitter) is one of those educators, and I’m grateful for her collaboration. Today we would like to share some resources that are the fruit of some of our ongoing work that:
- provides structure for classroom management
- maintains a focus on proficiency-driven language learning
- is flexible and can be used in a variety of levels and units
- reduces teacher workload and decision fatigue
Over the last few years we have both been working on streamlining some of our repetitive planning and tasks in a way that maintains high quality and engagement, but also adds an element of consistency. This has lead to the creation of a collection of documents that are easily adapted from one unit or level to the next, and merely require tweaking for the unit at hand. Generally, these documents include:
- a sheet to track daily warmups and performance task practice
- a partner signup sheet per unit
- vocab reference (in print or on Quizlet–my favorite!)
- vocab organizer
- roster-based interpersonal interview template
- Puedos (find out more here and here)
Meredith has compiled most of these documents for her first unit of level 1 into one packet, available here.
Here’s my latest version of the Daily warmup sheet that includes a Zipgrade answer sheet. This year I’ll be teaching only pre- AP and AP, so this provides us with an easy way to do some quick AP-test style practice without having to prep yet another document. Meredith uses the same idea in a different format to help prep students for district assessments.
And here’s a set of partner sign ups using flags of the Spanish-speaking world.
Finally, here’s a look at my current set of Puedos looks like for level 1, unit 1. In Meredith’s packet you will see the general template; this document is what I would give to students. One tip that cam from my students is to copy a page of the partner sign ups onto the back of the Puedos. It makes finding their assigned partners for the day so much easier!