By popular demand among my heritage language students, we are back with another episode of Ministerio del Tiempo. Episode 2 deals with Lope de Vega’s near miss of his assigned ship when the Armada Invencible sailed against England.
To support this episode, here’s what we will do:
- Open with the Alatriste trailer here
- Quizlet with vocab and key concepts here
- A brief video guide here. I prepared a much more detailed guide for the first episode. Initially it was helpful as students were getting the hang of the show. Later on though, I was finding that it was distracting students from watching the show rather than supporting it. However, we are on an A/B schedule, so we have gaps between when we see the show. Thus the purpose of the viewing guide has become to help students remember what they’ve seen.
- We will read/analyze Góngora’s Soneto CLXI (a work on the AP Spanish Lit reading list) and one of Lope de Vega’s works.
- Plan to use the podcast on the Siglo de Oro at spanishpodcast.net
- Close out with a FlipGrid mini video blog.
- The actor who plays the youngest Alonso is actually the son of the actor who plays the oldest Alonso.
- As always, preview the episode before showing it and decide whether it meets your community’s standards. But definitely skip the scene from 38:43-39:43 (on the DVD) because there is no way it’s appropriate for school.